Dec 8, 2009

December 2009

Hau kola na tiyospaye (Hello friends & extended family),

Welcome to all new Circle members! Each section of the Circle of Nations newsletter is written 'facing' one of the four sacred winds, beginning with the east, then the south, west and finally the north. This is to honor the old ways. It is to teach and to help us to focus and find the center. I have designed the Native Circle website in the same spirit. I welcome you all to the Circle....

EAST - Wiyohinyanpata - Yellow (Four Winds)
As we enter into the winter solstice, some of us may find ourselves contemplating what it all means. In the old Lakota way, the solstice is a ceremonious occasion. It is a time to reflect, to acknowledge triumph and failure, to ask - and give - forgiveness for wrongs, and to celebrate acts of valor, courage, wisdom and humility. In short, to the ancestral Lakota, the winter solstice was a time to reconnect with the true meaning of life - to gain a perspective on our reason for living. It is in this spirit of the wisdom of old Lakota tradition that I pose to you the question that human beings have pondered throughout the ages.... Why am I here? Some of the answers to that question are a mystery for each individual to unfold in that quiet, sacred space where you and Spirit commune. But my spiritual contemplations have yielded me at least one answer to this question which I am certain of. I know this - you are here for me. And I for you. We are not here for ourselves. All the strife, war, poverty, and insanity of our time stem directly from the fact that we have lost touch with this truth. Human societies around the world have increasingly become ‘me’ fixated. This ‘me, me, me’ condition has directly contributed to everything from economic crisis to global warming. The more humanity comes to know that this life is about ‘we’, not ‘me’, the more we will begin to heal the wounds we have inflicted upon each other and the world. Mending the sacred hoop is only possible when ‘we’ becomes the reason for our lives on this earth. Now that does not mean that we are not supposed to seek joy for ourselves! But true joy is found in seeking happiness for others. ‘We’ first, ‘me’ last. So my sisters and brothers the world over, seek to give joy to someone during this season. Be generous with your time, your gifts, your spirit. Focus your thoughts on the hearts of others as you reflect on this past year and look ahead to the next. For it is only together that we can realize the possibility of peace on earth....


SOUTH - Itokagata - Red (Red Earth)
A word from Peggy....

Well, winter is waiting at the door here in Northwest Arkansas. We like to leave her waiting out there as long as we can. I think we may be able to hold off our chilling visitor for a couple more weeks. Then we kind of like to see her around Christmas. I for one would be happy to see a little white dusting from about 7:00pm to 9:00pm on Dec 24th and that would be enough for me. I realize some of you just love the cold and the snow. I had enough of it my first 45 years living close to Lake Michigan. As a child, though, it meant the most wonderful magical event (a day off of school)!
But as I grow older I see how necessary the hibernation months are and I actually do look forward to slowing down and sipping hot chocolate by a roaring fire… with little of nothing to do.

So I do have some suggestions for Holiday giving...
We have a wonderful special of 2 books and 2 CDs for a very low price of $28.00
Also if you purchase a retreat weekend for a loved one, we will send them a free Christmas
Card with a voucher for the retreat. We can send this e-mail or snail mail, you choose.
Check out all of our wonderful gifts at:
http://www.johntwohawks.com or http://www.nativecircle.com
Between now and Jan 1st any JTH Signature Flute will come with a $25-off voucher for the Flute Discovery Retreat.
Be sure to get your tickets now for the last John Two-Hawks Concert of the year, the New Years Eve Concert! Seating is limited so don’t wait! The concert takes place at the Rogers Little Theater, in Rogers Arkansas at 7:00pm.

Thank you so much for all your support in 2009. It helps us to keep the Circle of Nations Global Community dream of world peace alive.

Wishing you and your families a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and the hope of a peaceful, joyful New Year
Peggy

ADD-ON DEC 06

CONGRATULATIONS JOHN TWO-HAWKS
GRAMMY NOMINEE!!
After watching you in concert last night I am utterly amazed and realize why I am a huge FAN
You deserve the Nomination and you deserve to WIN
thank you, thank you, for all the beauty, peace and healing you put into the world
Peggy


WEST - Wiyohpeyata - Black or Blue (We are STILL Here!)
Wow.... what a lucky man am I, to have a wife who is my biggest fan!? Yes, as Peggy said, I have been nominated for a GRAMMY for ‘Best Native American Music Album’ of the year for my ‘Wind Songs’ CD. I am, of course, very happy about this! And yet, what makes me happiest is that I have love, meaning and purpose in my life. Life is a mixed bag. It comes with highs and lows, joys and sorrows. But when you find love and purpose in your ups and downs, the true meaning of it all becomes clear. Seek this truth in your life, and your life will take on a new meaning. Your days will become rich with possibility, potential and passion. A life filled with love, meaning and purpose is a life worth living! May the coming year bring you more of all three....


NORTH - Waziyata - White (Words of Wisdom)
Some thoughts from my contemplations....

Faith without works is a game of slim chances....

Hope is only laughed at before it becomes reality....

The power of love is always underestimated....



May Wakantanka encircle you and yours with faith to believe, hope for the future, and love for all....

As always, in the spirit of mending the sacred hoop of the nations of the world
Your Oglala Lakota friend and brother,
John Two-Hawks
http://www.nativecircle.com
http://www.johntwohawks.com
Reprinting of this Circle of Nations newsletter is encouraged! All I ask is that it be printed in its entirety, with no changes, and that I be given proper credit, unless I have otherwise okayed it. Wopila (great thanks)!

No comments: